The aftermath of an accident can be stressful, painful, and not to mention, extremely chaotic. Victims are often confused about what to do first and how to file a personal injury claim. You only have a limited time to take legal action to recover compensation for your damages, so it is important that you file your claim accurately and quickly. Below are some valuable tips on how to maximize your compensation and mistakes that you should avoid when approaching your claim.
Don’t make these common personal injury claim mistakes:
- Leaving the scene too quickly – It is never a good idea to leave the scene quickly, even if the other driver is at fault. Remain at the scene and wait for the police and/or ambulance to arrive. If you are able to, get the names and contact information of witnesses and the other drivers.
- Delaying or refusing medical treatment – Some injuries may not appear until hours or days after the initial accident. Even if you think you are fine, you should always see a doctor to make sure that you are not suffering from nonvisible injuries such as brain injuries.
- Not taking pictures or keeping evidence – Providing sufficient evidence is critical to proving negligence in a claim. Take pictures of the scene, your injuries, and anything related to the accident.
- Not telling your attorney about preexisting injuries – Be sure you tell your doctor and your attorney about your health history, including preexisting injuries. Having preexisting injuries will not necessarily prevent you from obtaining compensation, but not disclosing this information can hurt you.
- Taking the first offer from insurers – Never settle for the first offer. The first offer from an insurer is always an offer that is far less than what you are truly entitled to receive under the law. There is usually room to negotiate a better offer, so don’t hesitate to do so.
- Not seeking legal advice – Trying to navigate the claims process yourself can leave you open to a lot more problems. It is always a good idea to talk to an attorney – or better yet - have a professional handle your claim and deal with insurers on your behalf.
The moment you have been injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, contact our Lancaster personal injury lawyers for guidance. We can walk you through each step, advise you of your rights, and aggressively protect your rights to fair compensation. Start with a free consultation and let’s discuss your case.